Non-US Citizens

If you are a Non-US Citizen looking to become a certified teacher in the US, please note that in addition to our standard program requirements, the below steps must also be completed.

The Test of English as a Foreign Language

If your degree is from outside the US, you will be required to take the TOEFL.

The TOEFL® (Test of English as a Foreign Language™) covers all facets of English proficiency, including a test of spoken English. TOEFL iBT (internet based) measures reading, listening, speaking and writing skills and takes approximately 4.5 hours. It is offered on computer 30-40 times a year at test centers throughout the world.

The following score requirements are necessary for entry into the program:

  • Speaking score of 24
  • Listening score of 22
  • Reading score of 22
  • Writing score of 21
Where can I take the TOEFL Test?
Who is exempt?

The countries listed below have been approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement specified in 19 TAC §230.11(b)(5)(C). To be exempted from the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) testing requirement specified in 19 TAC §230.11(b)(5)(B), a certification candidate must have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution of higher education on the SBEC-approved list of countries.

List of Exempt Countries
  • American Samoa
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada (except Quebec)
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Grand Cayman
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • Liberia
  • Nigeria
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Trinidad/Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos
  • U.S. Pacific Trust
  • United Kingdom

Degrees / Transcripts from outside the US

If you graduated from a Non-U.S. College / University you must have your foreign transcripts evaluated and translated before we can begin reviewing your educational background. Graduates of institutions within the United States are exempt and do not need this evaluation.

The Evaluation must be “course by course”, equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s Degree, and include the following information:

  • GPA
  • Conferred graduation date
  • Language of instruction

**If your transcript name is different from your Teachworthy application name, please email to alert us.

Approved Service Providers (must use a TEA approved Service provider)

Teachworthy has a working relationship with SpanTran evaluation company. You may use this application to apply for your international transcript evaluation: SpanTran Application for Teachworthy. The application comes with a discount and will be sent directly to Teachworthy free of charge.

If you would like to use a different provider, a complete list of providers known to the Texas Education Agency as following the standards of recognized national organizations of foreign credential evaluators may be found on the TEA website.

Request SpanTran Evaluation