5 TeXes Study Resources to help you pass your Texas Content Exams
5 of the Best Texas Teacher Content Test Study Guides (TExES)
There are many resources that help prepare you to pass your content exams. Five with strong outcomes are highlighted below. But first,
What are TExES exams?
TExES is the state of Texas’ testing program for certifying new teachers before they’re allowed to teach in a classroom. The acronym stands for Texas Examinations of Educator Standards. Currently, there are approximately 50 classroom level tests covering a variety of grade levels and specialization areas. (There are also exams for other positions, such as principal, counselor, librarian, etc.) Except for people who need to take an exam in Braille, there are no paper tests; all TExES exams are taken on a computer. All tests contain multiple-choice questions. In fact, on most exams, all the questions are multiple-choice, but some exams feature one or more questions which require a written or oral response.
The exams are criterion based; that is, Texas teacher certification test scores are based on how well the test taker knows the subject matter, not how well you did compared to other test takers. Each test is divided into categories, called domains. Domains are further broken down into competencies. Competencies consist of two components: a competency statement, and descriptive statements. The competency statement is the broad outline of what knowledge and skills a teacher should have in this area, while the descriptive statements spell out the required knowledge and skills in much greater detail. TExES tests are quite challenging and should not be taken lightly. Appropriate time should be allocated to properly prepare for your exam.
Certify Teacher provides computer simulated exams and test preparation.
- Thousands of test questions and structured content are available.
- Pricing starts at $55 per test subject and includes one year of access to the online simulation and learning system.
- Candidates pre-test to determine the domains you need the most improvement in and then are automatically focused on mastering these weak areas.
- Learn more at certifyteacher.com.
240 Tutoring – referring to the minimum score needed to pass the PPR exam (Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities)
- Subscription service starting at $39.99 a month
- Includes access to all of their TExES test prep guides.
- Learn more at 240tutoring.com.
Study.com offers a large inventory of practice tests and preparation materials.
- Monthly subscription plan for $59.99 per month
- Grants you access to their entire database of TExES content test preparation materials and videos.
- Learn more at study.com.
Mometrix Test Preparation offers printed and ebook preparation support. These materials include insights into test-taking strategies and a bank of practice tests that will help you understand the type of question to expect.
- Prices start at $39.95 per test.
- Learn more at mometrix.com.
Practice exams are available anytime anywhere on any device. Unlimited access to your test reviews, no time limits and no recurring charges. Everything you need to pass your exam for one low cost.
- Prices start at $19.95 per test.
- Learn more at examedge.com.
Hear how Teachworthy helped Melisa Arredondo pass her PPR exam.
“I encourage all teachers to become certified. Students and parents deserve to have certified teachers in the classroom.”